Jason A. Hall, PhD
PhD Immunology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 2010
My graduate work centered on the role of microbial signaling and vitamin A metabolism in mucosal homeostasis and immunity. I joined the Littman lab to obtain a better understanding of the molecular and cell intrinsic mechanisms that govern immunological tissue homeostasis, with a particular interest in studying the role of nuclear hormone receptor signaling in these processes. Currently, I am developing novel mouse models to address roles of innate lymphoid cells in the establishment and regulation of tissue homeostasis. I am also trying to elucidate molecular pathways by which the nuclear hormone receptor subfamily, retinoic acid related orphan receptors (RORs), contributes to host metabolic regulation.
1. Spencer SP, Wilhelm C, Yang Q, Hall JA, Bouladoux N, Boyd A, Nutman TB, Urban JF Jr, Wang J, Ramalingam TR, Bhandoola A, Wynn TA, Belkaid Y. Adaptation of innate lymphoid cells to a micronutrient deficiency promotes type 2 barrier immunity. Science. 2014.
2. Klebanoff CA, Spencer SP, Torabi-Parizi P, Grainger JR, Roychoudhuri R, Ji Y, Sukumar M, Muranski P, Scott CD, Hall JA, Ferreyra GA, Leonardi AJ, Borman ZA, Wang J, Palmer DC, Wilhelm C, Cai R, Sun J, Napoli JL, Danner RL, Gattinoni L, Belkaid Y, Restifo NP. Retinoic acid controls the homeostasis of pre-cDC-derived splenic and intestinal dendritic cells. J Exp Med. 2013
3. Naik S, Bouladoux N, Wilhelm C, Molloy MJ, Salcedo R, Kastenmuller W, Deming C, Quinones M, Koo L, Conlan S, Spencer S, Hall JA, Dzutsev A, Kong H, Campbell DJ, Trinchieri G, Segre JA, Belkaid Y. Compartmentalized control of skin immunity by resident commensals. Science. 2012.
4. Bouladoux N, Hall JA, Grainger JR, dos Santos LM, Kann MG, Nagarajan V, Verthelyi D, Belkaid Y. Regulatory role of suppressive motifs from commensal DNA. Mucosal Immunol. 2012.
5. Wohlfert EA, Grainger JR, Bouladoux N, Konkel JE, Oldenhove G, Ribeiro CH, Hall JA, Yagi R, Naik S, Bhairavabhotla R, Paul WE, Bosselut R, Wei G, Zhao K, Oukka M, Zhu J, Belkaid Y. GATA3 controls Foxp3⁺ regulatory T cell fate during inflammation in mice. J Clin Invest. 2011.
6. Hall JA, Grainger JR, Spencer SP, Belkaid Y. The role of retinoic acid in tolerance and immunity. Immunity. 2011.
7. Hall JA, Cannons JL, Grainger JR, Dos Santos LM, Hand TW, Naik S, Wohlfert EA, Chou DB, Oldenhove G, Robinson M, Grigg ME, Kastenmayer R, Schwartzberg PL, Belkaid Y. Essential role for retinoic acid in the promotion of CD4(+) T cell effector responses via retinoic acid receptor alpha. Immunity. 2011.
8. DePaolo RW, Abadie V, Tang F, Fehlner-Peach H, Hall JA, Wang W, Marietta EV, Kasarda DD, Waldmann TA, Murray JA, Semrad C, Kupfer SS, Belkaid Y, Guandalini S, Jabri B. Co-adjuvant effects of retinoic acid and IL-15 induce inflammatory immunity to dietary antigens. Nature. 2011.
9. Grainger JR, Hall JA, Bouladoux N, Oldenhove G, Belkaid Y. Microbe-dendritic cell dialog controls regulatory T-cell fate. Immunol Rev. 2010.
10. Oldenhove G, Bouladoux N, Wohlfert EA, Hall JA, Chou D, Dos Santos L, O'Brien S, Blank R, Lamb E, Natarajan S, Kastenmayer R, Hunter C, Grigg ME, Belkaid Y. Decrease of Foxp3+ Treg cell number and acquisition of effector cell phenotype during lethal infection. Immunity. 2009.
11. Hill JA, Hall JA, Sun CM, Cai Q, Ghyselinck N, Chambon P, Belkaid Y, Mathis D, Benoist C. Retinoic acid enhances Foxp3 induction indirectly by relieving inhibition from CD4+CD44hi Cells. Immunity. 2008.
12. Hall JA, Bouladoux N, Sun CM, Wohlfert EA, Blank RB, Zhu Q, Grigg ME, Berzofsky JA, Belkaid Y. Commensal DNA limits regulatory T cell conversion and is a natural adjuvant of intestinal immune responses. Immunity. 2008.
13. Hall JA, Sun CM, Blank RB, Bouladoux N, Oukka M, Mora JR, Belkaid Y. Small intestine lamina propria dendritic cells promote de novo generation of Foxp3 T reg cells via retinoic acid. J Exp Med. 2007.